Bad word list
Bad word lists are one of two types of word lists used in WordCheck.
WHY words are on a Bad Word List
Being on a bad word list does not mean that the word does not appear in the project's page images. These words are flagged in the WordCheck utility to draw the proofer's closer examination for one of a number of reasons:
- It contains letters with diacritical marks
- Some words have the same spelling, except for a diacritical mark EXAMPLE: resume and resumé
- It has been identified by Distributed Proofreaders as a stealth scanno
Types of Bad Word Lists
There are two types of bad word lists:
- site-level lists for each language that Distributed Proofreaders (DP) maintains a WordCheck dictionary; these lists are maintained by the DP's site administrators.
- project-level lists for each project; these lists are maintained by the project's Project Manager.