IrfanView is a fast, compact, and innovative freeware (for non-commercial use) graphic-image viewer/editor/convertor for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003. It does not have as extensive image-creation and -editing capabilities as do Adobe Photoshop or GNU's GIMP, but is designed to allow basic viewing and editing of a wide variety of graphic file formats.
- Many supported file formats (PNG, TIFF, BMP, JPG, DJVU, etc.)
- Multipage TIF editing
- Batch conversion (with image processing)
- Change color depth*
- Scan (batch scan) support
- Image rotation*
- Fast directory view (moving through directory)*
- Thumbnail/preview option
- Multiple language support
- Many Plug-Ins
- *Features most useful in post-processing.
- Many content providers use IrfanView to prepare the png Page scans that proofers will see. See batch processing for more details.
- Post-processors may use IrfanView to do basic processing of illustrations, if the scans are already in fairly good shape. See the Guide to Image Processing for using IrfanView during PP.
IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use (that means at home). IrfanView is free for educational use (schools, universities and libraries) and for use in charity or humanitarian organizations.