DPFoundation:State of DPF/State of DPF in 2019
This report covers January - December 2019
An important accomplishment in 2019 was the DPF Board and the DP community working together with Project Gutenberg to align PG's Collection Development Policy with DP's and DPF's Mission Statements, with reference to the American Library Association's "Freedom to Read" statement.
- Evaluated the General Manager (GM).
- Evaluated and approved the GM's objectives for 2019.
- Changed the By-laws
- to allow the Board to choose to cancel the annual election if the number of candidates does not exceed the number of Trustee positions up for election
- to clarify candidate eligibility
- to rename Nominating Committee to Election Committee
- Cancelled the 2019 election, as only one candidate stepped forward.
- Revised DP's Mission Statement with input from the community.
- Revised DPF's Mission Statement to align with DP's Mission Statement.
- Worked with PG to align their Collection Development Policy with DP's and DPF's Mission Statements.
- Settled on a format for financial reports.
The bank balance as of 31 December 2019 was $17,826.73. This is sufficient to cover operating expenses for approximately 4 years, barring extraordinary unforeseen expenses. In addition, roughly $284 of DP expenses annually are paid directly by volunteers as donations. DPF is up-to-date with all Federal and NJ state tax and legal filings.
DP Milestones and Software Updates
- Mar: Wiki upgraded to MediaWiki 1.31.1
- Apr: 37,000th unique title posted
- Jul: Forums upgraded to phpBB 3.2.7
- Oct: DP's 19th Anniversary
- Nov: 38,000th unique title posted
As mentioned above, both the wiki and forums software were upgraded this year. In addition, there were several significant updates to the DP code throughout the year, and with the foundation software running the site up to date, great progress was made on preparing the site to move to UTF-8, and a target date was set for late June 2020.
12 March 2020
President, Board of Trustees
Distributed Proofreaders Foundation